(Updated on April 1st, 2021)
We know that you care how information about you is used and shared, and we appreciate your trust that we will do so carefully and sensibly. This Privacy Notice describes how SwitchBot and its affiliates (collectively “SwitchBot”) collect and process your personal information through SwitchBot websites, devices, products, services, online and applications that reference this Privacy Notice (together “SwitchBot Services”). By using SwitchBot Services, you are consenting to the practices described in this Privacy Notice.
What Personal Information About Customers Does SwitchBot Collect?
We collect your personal information in order to provide and continually improve our products and services.
Here are the types of personal information we collect:
- Information You Give Us: We receive and store any information you provide in relation to SwitchBot Click here to see examples of what we collect. You can choose not to provide certain information, but then you might not be able to take advantage of many of our SwitchBotServices.
- Automatic Information: We automatically collect and store certain types of information about your use of SwitchBotServices, including information about your interaction with content and services available through SwitchBot Like many websites, we use "cookies" and other unique identifiers, and we obtain certain types of information when your device accesses SwitchBot Services and other content served by or on behalf of SwitchBot on other websites. Click here to see examples of what we collect.
SwitchBot does not track users' location or save users' location information anywhere in the app or on SwitchBot's servers. The location permission is only needed in the foreground to access the hardware identifiers of nearby external devices via Bluetooth scans.
For What Purposes Does SwitchBot Use Your Personal Information?
We use your personal information to operate, provide, develop, and improve the products and services that we offer our customers. These purposes include:
- Purchase and delivery of products and services. We use your personal information to take and handle orders, deliver products and services, process payments, and communicate with you about orders, products and services, and promotional offers.
- Provide, troubleshoot, and improve SwitchBotWe use your personal information to provide functionality, analyze performance, fix errors, and improve the usability and effectiveness of the SwitchBot Services.
- Provide voice, image and camera services. When you use our voice, image and camera services, we use your voice input, images, videos, and other personal information to respond to your requests, provide the requested service to you, and improve our services.
- Comply with legal obligations. In certain cases, we collect and use your personal information to comply with laws. For instance, we collect from sellers information regarding place of establishment and bank account information for identity verification and other purposes.
- Communicate with you. We use your personal information to communicate with you in relation to SwitchBotServices via different channels (e.g. e-mail, chat).
- Fraud Prevention and Credit Risks. We use personal information to prevent and detect fraud and abuse in order to protect the security of our customers, SwitchBot, and others. We may also use scoring methods to assess and manage credit risks.
Does SwitchBot Share Your Personal Information?
Information about our customers is an important part of our business, and we are not in the business of selling our customers’ personal information to others. We share customers’ personal information only as described below and with subsidiaries SwitchBot that either are subject to this Privacy Notice or follow practices at least as protective as those described in this Privacy Notice.
- Transactions involving Third Parties: We make available to you services, products, applications provided by third parties for use on or through SwitchBot For example, you can order products from third parties, download applications from third-party application providers, and enable third-party integration through our SwitchBot services. We also offer services or sell product lines jointly with third-party businesses, such as co-branded credit cards. You can tell when a third party is involved in your transactions, and we share customers’ personal information related to those transactions with that third party.
- Third-Party Service Providers: We employ other companies and individuals to perform functions on our behalf. Examples include fulfilling orders for products or services, delivering packages, sending postal mail and e-mail, removing repetitive information from customer lists, analyzing data, providing marketing assistance, providing search results and links (including paid listings and links), processing payments, transmitting content, scoring, assessing and managing credit risk, and providing customer service. These third-party service providers have access to personal information needed to perform their functions, but may not use it for other purposes.
- Business Transfers: As we continue to develop our business, we might sell or buy other businesses or services. In such transactions, customer information generally is one of the transferred business assets but remains subject to the promises made in any pre-existing Privacy Notice (unless, of course, the customer consents otherwise). Also, in the unlikely event that SwitchBot.com, Inc. or substantially all of its assets are acquired, customer information will of course be one of the transferred assets.
- Protection of SwitchBot and Others: We release account and other personal information when we believe release is appropriate to comply with the law; enforce or apply our Conditions of Use and other agreements; or protect the rights, property, or safety of SwitchBot, our users, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organizations for fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
Other than as set out above, you will receive notice when personal information about you might be shared with third parties, and you will have an opportunity to choose not to share the information.
How Secure Is Information About Me?
We design our systems with your security and privacy in mind.
- We work to protect the security of your personal information during transmission by using encryption protocols and software.
- We follow the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS) when handling credit card data.
- We maintain physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards in connection with the collection, storage, and disclosure of personal customer information. Our security procedures mean that we may occasionally request proof of identity before we disclose personal information to you.
- Our devices offer security features to protect them against unauthorized access and loss of data. You can control these features and configure them based on your needs.
- It is important for you to protect against unauthorized access to your password and to your computers, devices, and applications. Be sure to sign off when finished using a shared device.